The Town Pump was established on February 26, 1909, just months after the Avery Building was erected in downtown Fort Collins.
The history behind the Bar's name is an interesting story. The original streets in downtown were built very wide to accommodate horse and buggy turnarounds. In conjunction to that, there was a manual water supply pump at 124 North College Avenue where people often stopped to water their horses. It was an easy access location as they turned their buggies around at The College Ave. and East Mountain Ave. intersection, swinging their horses right to the water trough, which was often referred to as the town pump.