The month of February is American Heart Month, so what better time to cater to cardiovascular health and nourish the heart with joy-filled activities? We’re sharing the top ways to care for your heart in Fort Collins, Colorado – both physically and metaphorically. You only get one heart, so treat it right with our fun leisure activity tips:
Low Impact Movement
Paved paths for brisk heart-healthy walking are found all around Fort Collins. When you’re visiting, make sure to stop by the following locations to enjoy sightseeing and walking:
- Old Town Fort Collins: One of the most intriguing and unique parts about Old Town Fort Collins is how the architecture has been cared for and maintained over the years. With over 20 restored historical buildings that are part of both national and local designated historic districts, it’s almost as if you’re taking a step back in time by strolling through Downtown Fort Collins.
- City Park: A few miles west of Downtown Fort Collins is City Park. Located inside of City Park is Sheldon Lake, which is a beautiful lake surrounded by the City Park Lake Path wherein visitors can walk and enjoy nature.
- Fort Collins Poudre River Trail: Follow along the Poudre River by walking along the Poudre River Trail which starts from the Bellvue Watson Fish Hatchery up to Colorado State University’s Environmental Learning Center on East Drake. You can access the trail at various points: at Lyons Park (N. Overland Trail road), by the Farm at Lee Martinez Park (N. Sherwood St. and Mason Ct.), Udall Natural Area (E. Lincoln near Riverside Ave.), and off Sharp Point Dr. close to I-25 on Prospect.
Cycling Throughout Fort Collins
- Spring Canyon and Edora Park: This route will take you through some residential neighborhoods and the city’s park system where you can stop to enjoy a picnic or use the restroom. Biking through Spring Canyon and Edora Park will take you through beautiful car-free bike paths that are easy in difficulty level.
- Spring Creek Loop: The Spring Creek Loop takes you a bit out of the city and to bike on car-free paved paths and quiet country roads. Start by heading southwest out of Fort Collins on the Spring Creek Trail toward Bellvue. You’ll be biking at a gradual incline until mile 14 where you will pass Noosa Yogurt and the Howling Cow Cafe then cross the Cache La Poudre River to go through Laporte. By mile 17, you will be able to get on the Poudre Trail and take it all the way back to Spring Creek.
- Fort Collins North: Beginning in historic Old Town Fort Collins, this route will take you past the cityscape as you head north then to more wide-open farmlands through the more rural roads on the northeast side of Fort Collins. You loop back around through Riverbend Ponds and Kingfisher Point Natural Areas.
In Fort Collins, eating out can be done in a way that cares for your heart. Many of our restaurants take pride in offering healthy menu items that incorporate seasonal locally grown ingredients. Below are a few of our picks for Fort Collins dining options that make it easy to eat well:
Address: 415 S Mason St, Fort Collins, CO 80524
This Fort Collins sitdown restaurant offers a variety of healthy options on their menu: small plates like grilled veggie, steak, and chicken skewers, robust salads like the roasted beet salad, and hearty quinoa bowls topped with fresh and healthy ingredients. With main choices like pan seared scottish salmon and deliciously seasoned blackened cauliflower, making the healthy choice is going to be both easy and totally satisfying to your taste buds.
Address: 120 W Stuart St Unit A, Fort Collins, CO 80525
Snack Attack is a Fort Collins family owned and operated restaurant specializing in handcrafting food that is both good for your body and packed full of flavor. Nutritious foods don't have to be boring, which is why their sandwiches and salads include a huge variety in topping and sauce options. You can choose from their set menu items or craft your own healthy meal!
Address: 160 W Oak St, Fort Collins, CO 80524
Healthy “organic vegetarian goodness” in a comfortable sit-down setting is what family owned and operated Tasty Harmony specializes in. The menu is filled with a wide variety of flavors and cuisine types, yet all within that variety is a consistent care for quality as every item is made in house. This Fort Collins restaurant is also differentiated by its plethora of vegan choices.
Campus West: 118 W Elizabeth St, Fort Collins, CO 80521
Harmony: 4609 S Timberline Rd Suite 102A, Fort Collins, CO 80528
Link Lane: 320 S Link Ln, Fort Collins, CO 80524
This fast casual restaurant offering up soups, salads, and sandwiches has served visitors and residents of Northern Colorado healthy food choices for more than 18 years. Spoons incorporates locally sourced ingredients whenever possible, opting to work with Colorado farms that share their values of serving only the cleanest and freshest produce.
Practicing yoga is a fantastic way to improve and maintain heart health through stress reduction and physical exercise. Fort Collins is home to yoga studios that offer consistent class schedules and specialty yoga events.
Upcoming Yoga Events:
- Gentle New Moon Yoga for People of Color on Saturday February 18, 9:30-10:30 a.m. Get tickets here
- Bend, Brew and Burritos Yoga at Snack Attack Specialty Sandwiches & Brews on February 26, 9:30 a.m.- 11:00 a.m. Get tickets here.
High Tea at The Sunset Lounge
Self care is certainly a way to reduce stress and nourish one’s heart. Treating yourself and loved ones to a fine high tea service can be a refined form of self-care. The Sunset Lounge inside The Elizabeth Hotel offers the first of its kind in Fort Collins every Sunday at 1:00pm & 3:00 pm. Reservations are required and can be made here.
Filling Your Heart with Joy (and thrill!)
Tour Northern Colorado via helicopter
- Macdonald Heli Tours offers tours of Northern Colorado from high above that allow you experience exceptional scenic views. Take the Devil’s Backbone Loop Tour, Old Town and CSU Loop, or The Horsetooth Rock Loop for a memorable excursion!
Live Music for The Heart and Soul
Fort Collins wouldn’t be what it is today without its lively and creative music scene. There is an established and growing culture for music appreciation across genres that allows for artists to thrive. Below are some fantastic music venues and spaces to catch a live performance in Fort Collins:
- Washington’s: Bringing live contemporary music to the region while providing an exceptional space for musicians and guests is Washington’s focus. This 900-person capacity venue has a long Fort Collins history while continuing its legacy of bringing the best talent to Fort Collins.
- The Armory: With state-of-the-art acoustics, The Armory is a 200-person capacity venue that primarily hosts acoustic acts.
- The Aggie: The historic century-old Aggie Theater hosts local and big-name bands while offering a full bar.
- The Magic Rat: A fun and vibrant atmosphere hosting free live shows Wednesday through Saturday.
- 830 North: A unique live music venue providing both a 300 person capacity concert venue and bowling in one space. Check their calendar here.
- Surfside 7: This small and intimate venue plays host to rock and punk performances while also serving up some of the best pizza in Fort Collins. Check their schedule here.
- The Atrium: The indoor plants and mood lighting set a dreamy ambiance inside of The Atrium. Check their live music schedule here.