I Live Here
Fort Collins has proven itself as an amazing place to visit and it’s also a great place to live! Please use the information below to find resources a Fort Collins local needs to know.
Honors and Awards
- 9th Best City to Raise a Family in Colorado: WalletHub – Sep 2017
- 18th Best City for Career Opportunities: SmartAsset – Sep 2017
- No. 3 Best College Town to Live in Forever: College Ranker – Jul 2017
- 12th Best Midsize City for First-Time Home Buyers: WalletHub – Jul 2017
- 25 Best Towns Ever: Where to Live Now: Outside Magazine – Jun 2017
- No. 1 Stable and Growing Housing Market: Realtor.com – Jun 2017
- No. 156 Best City for Summer Travel with Families: lendedu – Apr 2017
- No. 186 Best City for Staying in Shape: lendedu – Apr 2017
- 16th Best Place to Live: Livability.com – Mar 2017
- 11th Happiest City in America: Yahoo! Finance – Mar 2017
- Top 100 Best Cities to Start a Family: lendedu – Feb 2017
- No. 9 Top 150 Cities for Millennials Report: Millennnial Personal Finance – Feb 2017
- No. 2 Best Cities for Small Business Owners: ValuePenguin – Feb 2017
- No. 17 Best Places to Buy a Forever Home: Good Call – Jan 2017
- No. 8 Best-Performing City: Milken Institute – Dec 2016
- Runner Friendly Community: Road Runners Club of America – Oct 2016
- No. 12 Best Midsize City in America for New College Graduates: – Aug 2016
- Best Recreational/Travel Map Design: Cartography and Geographic Information Society – Apr 2016
- No. 4 Happiest City in America: 24/7 Wall St. – Apr 2016
For a more extensive list of awards the city of Fort Collins has earned over the years please click HERE.
Links for a Fort Collins local
City of Fort Collins Providing world-class service to an exceptional community, the official municipal site.
Larimer County A virtual courthouse and clearinghouse of information for the county.
State of Colorado The official State portal.
Real Estate in Fort Collins.
A Sampling of Life for a Fort Collins local
Keeping Fort Collins Green
Climate Wise, Business Smart: a voluntary program that helps businesses reduce their bottom line and reduces the amount of greenhouse gases they omit.
Colorado State University is THE “Green” university and is a leader in global energy reduction research.
Engines and Energy Conversion Lab is world-renowned for its innovations in algae fuel research, invention of two stroke engines and clean burning stoves for third world countries.
Sustainability: More than just city policies, more than just community programs, more than just talk. Being sustainable means considering the environmental, financial, and human impacts of all of our decisions.
FortZED: Interesting name, cool project. Fort (Fort Collins) ZED (zero energy district) will demonstrate new electric grid technologies.
Green Energy Program: A Fort Collins Utility program. Purchase clean, renewable energy and guarantee that your energy comes from the cleanest source available.
City of Fort Collins Green Building Services Program helps citizens and businesses use the latest technologies to reduce energy and lower toxins in buildings.
Poudre School District is among one of the first school districts to earn Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Green Building certification. PSD schools have won more than 30 awards for sustainable environmental design, pollution prevention, renewable energy and energy efficiency.
Northern Colorado Clean Energy Cluster fosters collaboration and projects that have a global impact. Fort Collins is the go to region for smart grid technologies, renewable energy and energy efficiency, and cleaner and more efficient engines.
Sustainable Living Fair highlights sustainable living practices, renewable energy ideas, natural health, green building, alternative vehicles, organic agriculture, local economies and more.
Enjoying Nature in as a Fort Collins Local
Colorado State University’s Oval is the sentimental heart of campus. It is lined by century old American elm trees. Many campus activities take place there year round.
Enjoy Fort Collins’ scenery at one of over forty natural areas. Residents of Fort Collins value conservation of public lands so everyone has the chance to view nature as it should be, undisturbed.
Go west! To Horsetooth Reservoir, where you can boat, rock climb, hike, bike or simply be.
Poudre River – The State’s only designated “wild and scenic” river. The Poudre is clear, cold, fast and a dispenser of wisdom.
Walk or bike on the 200+ miles of trails, both off and on streets
Feeling the Vibe as a Fort Collins Local
Alleys in Downtown, take a short cut and see a new part of town, complete with lights, flowers and public art. Arts and culture thrive in Fort Collins. Hundreds of performances and exhibitions keep the community and visitors engaged and entertained. Discover the arts in Fort Collins.
Competitive Sports in Fort Collins are easy to find and attend. Colorado State University has many NCAA level sports including football, volleyball, basketball, track and field, and cross country. Just south of Fort Collins watch the minor league ice hockey team, the Colorado Eagles. For summer baseball action, check out the Mountain Collegiate Baseball League, the Fort Collins Foxes.
Craft beers in Fort Collins are made from the tastiest water in Colorado. Over 20 microbreweries and one national brewery offer tours, tasting rooms, and good times to visitors wanting to learn more about the art and science behind beer making.
Colorado State University’s Annual Flower Trial Garden connect with your inner green thumb. Bring your camera.
CSU’s home football games – Get in the community spirit with Game Day, rallies, Ram Town and tailgating. Go Rams!
Did you know? Fort Collins’ main street, College Avenue, and its neighboring off-shoot streets in Old Town, were inspiration for Disneyland’s Main Street USA.
Inspiration Playground – Be a kid again, at Spring Canyon Community Park-Colorado’s first universally accessible playground.
Kids in Fort Collins attend the Poudre School District, an award-winning, diverse, quality school system. More than 50% of our population has a college degree or higher. The public school system reflects that thirst for knowledge by offering a variety of programs for all.
Local history and traditions abound in Fort Collins. Celebrate Fort Collins’ birthday bash each August at the Bohemian Nights at NewWestFest. Take a historic Downtown tour, climb the foothills and see evidence of long-ago ocean life, or ride the trolley to City Park.
Mason Corridor (MAX) is a five-mile north-south stretch of Fort Collins that runs energy efficient mass transit buses, continuous bike and pedestrian lanes and home to new transit-oriented development-connecting south Fort Collins and north Fort Collins like never before.
Non-Profits number in the hundreds. Many residents feel recharged and rejuvenated by volunteering in the community.
Old Town Square always a great place to catch a concert, people watch, or enjoy a meal.
UCHealth, named a Top 100 Hospital for the past five years. With three campuses and a multitude of specialists and caring staff, you’ll feel safe knowing the healthcare in Fort Collins is one of the best in the country.
Shopping. We’ve got the usual convenient shops you see in other great towns, but there’s so much more! Unique, local boutique shops, bookstores in coffee shops, gourmet food and wine, and a great outdoor sports shop-Jax. Also check out the Winter Indoor Farmers’ Markets and other local shopping information.
Getting Around as a Fort Collins Local
Fort Collins is conveniently located. We’re a 60 minute drive to downtown Denver, to Denver International Airport, and less than sixty minutes from Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park, Boulder, and Cheyenne, Wyoming.
Public transportation is available in Fort Collins, with many routes and buses that run on bio-diesel or compressed natural gas.
Partner Agencies to know
- Chamber of Commerce
- City of Fort Collins
- Colorado State University
- Visit Fort Collins
- Downtown Business Association
- Downtown Development Authority
- Poudre River Public Library District
- Poudre School District
- South Fort Collins Business Association
- UniverCity Connections
About Fort Collins, CO
- Platinum rated Bicycle Friendly Community (2013)
- Livability’s Best Downtown in the Nation (2012)
- Money Magazine’s Best Place to Live (2010)
- Population: 158,600 (2015)
- 55 square miles
- Nearly 5,000 ft. above sea level
- 300+ days of sunshine
- Average temps: January 40°F/ July 85°F
- 14″ of precipitation a year